Dangriga is not as popular with the expats as the Hopkins area which is slowly attracting more expats seeking beachfront property.
Hopkins does not have an airstrip, but you can fly into Dangriga. There is also bus service available between Dangriga and Hopkins. Dangriga is about 15 miles from the Hopkins area down the Southern Highway. Expats will probably want to have a car living in this area.
Reasons to live in the Dangriga/Hopkins Area
1. Friendly, funky, small village
2. You still have close access to the barrier reef. It is only about 12 to 15 miles off the shore.
3. Water sports available such as fishing, boating, snorkeling and diving.
4. Hopkins has real beaches.
5. Considered the most exotic area of Belize.
6. Lower prices for beachfront property.
7. Fascinating history of the Garifuna (pronounced Gah-RIF-oo-na) people.
8. Easy access to Cockscomb Jaguar Preserve and other natural areas of Belize.
9. Only a short drive to the Maya ruins at Mayflower.
10. Cockscomb Basin Reserve, a real rain forest jungle.